Sunday, March 16, 2008

Kidney Stones

Yesterday began great with me weighing in at 263 pounds, down 1.2 pounds from the day before and meeting my weekly goal.

After taking my daughter to the eye doctor for contacts/glasses, I came home and went to bed for a well earned nap. I woke up an hour later at 3:00 PM with pain in my left kidney. I had felt pain like this twice before - the dreaded kidney stone.

I'm not going to explain what kidney stones are here but I will say they are very painful. The last time I had one, I waited about 30 minutes before going to the emergency room. By the time the staff had me hooked up to the IV and was about to give me pain medicine, the stone had passed and I was fine.

So, like an idiot, I decided to wait it out this time. Dumb! After two hours and thirty minutes of excruciating pain, nausea and vomiting, I decided it might be best to go to the emergency room.

Morphine to the rescue! One shot of morphine and some nausea medicine and I was feeling no pain. After a cat scan the doctor told me there was a stone about ready to pass into my bladder. They pumped me full of fluids and the stone came out with no issues. It was 9:30 PM when I got in the van to go home.

I was starving so I had a reasonable dinner and went to bed. Eating right before bed isn't the greatest idea but I was exhausted from my day.

The fluids and the late dinner cost me this morning on my daily weigh-in. I weight 264.8, a gain of 1.8 pounds. Oh well, I have to look on the bright side. I have no pain this morning and I'm sure my body will normalize over the next day or so.

On days like yesterday, when life throws something at you totally out of your control, you just need to deal with it and shrug it off. Today I'm back on my routine and know the weight will come back off.

Like the old saying goes "Obstacles are those things you see when you take your eyes off your goals". I've been doing my daily discipline routine successfully now for two weeks and my pride is deeply involved. Letting yesterday's setback get me down wasn't even an issue. It's time to focus on today!

No comments: